Job title Senior Petrophysicist
Req ID 57750BR
Job category Petrophysicist
Countries (State/Region) Oman
Role Synopsis BP has an opportunity for a Senior Petrophysicist, to join the New Well Delivery (NWD) team in the Reservoir Development organization of the Khazzan unconventional gas project in Oman Block 61. The successful candidate will be joining at a critical and exciting time as the project transitions from a single rig appraisal programme to an eight rig development operation. He/she will work as part of a multi-discipline subsurface team, in an environment where geophysical, stratigraphic, petrologic, petrophysical, geomechanical, engineering and production data are combined to produce integrated products and enhanced reservoir understanding. He/she will direct and support the Operations Petrophysicist in field development well planning, operations support and data acquisition strategy for new wells. He/she is also expected to provide input to petrophysical issues in Reservoir and Base Management, playing a key role in integrating core, log and production data to support reservoir and overburden description/ prediction, completion and frac design, and production surveillance.
Key accountabilities • Provide petrophysical support to New Well Delivery, Base Management and Reservoir Management teams, including well planning and execution, log data acquisition and interpretation, surveillance planning and execution, reservoir and overburden description, core analysis and seismic rock properties.
• Support the planning of sufficient wells (up to 24 per year) to stay a minimum of 12 months ahead of the drill bit.
• Witness selected logging operations to assure they are carried out according to best practice in terms of both safety and quality.
• Ensure all cement bond log interpretations meet GP10-60 certification requirements.
• Provide petrophysical advice for well completions, including input to the selection of perforation intervals (for fraccing).
• Recommend optimum MWD/LWD tool suites to allow cost effective landing and steering of horizontal wells. Build or at a minimum provide petrophysical input for forward models of the well trajectory.
• Maintain/enhance detailed overburden description and geomechanical model for trajectory planning.
• Provide advice on log or core data acquisition and analyses for diagnosis of wellbore instability problems and reduction of reservoir uncertainties.
• Act as Lead PP in prescribing and undertaking field studies in support of reservoir description & characterization, for static and dynamic reservoir model builds, and NWD prospect generation.
• Coach & mentor junior Petrophysicists to ensure their development
Essential Education A minimum of BSc Degree or equivalent in Physics or related science
Essential experience and job requirements • Minimum of 8 years of experience in petrophysical analysis of hydrocarbon reservoirs and in both conventional and tight gas zones.
• Understanding of the factors involved in the selection of the optimum depths to target for fraccing (impact of porosity, permeability, rock stress, bed thickness etc. on the selection)
• Certified for cement bond log interpretation in accordance with GP10-60 (or able to obtain same very shortly after appointment)
• Strong communications skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of technical specialists
• Able to work effectively within and across teams to share knowledge and best practice, and to create integrated products.
• Proven track record of leading people and of coaching and mentoring junior staff
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong project management and organizational skills
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location) There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications Strong candidates for this role will have:
• Extensive experience of the majority of LWD and wireline logging tools available in the market
• Experience in the interpretation of MWD/LWD logs for geosteering
• Excellent skills in the interpretation of open hole logs
• Experience in the interpretation of cement bond logs.
• Experience in the interpretation of production logs in horizontal wells.
• Experience in directing the specification and managing the delivery of contracted services
• Ability to assimilate project business drivers and to link to decision-making
• MWD/LWD Geosteering and TLC logging of horizontal wells
• Use of dual packer formation sampling tools
• Strong experience in Techlog
• Experience of Special Core Analysis – both in designing analysis programs and integrating the results into field understanding.
Relocation available No
Travel required Yes – up to 10%
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Closing Date 06-Nov-2014
– See more at: http://jobs.bp.com/om/muscat/upstream/jobid6032532-senior-petrophysicist-jobs#sthash.NaTnVHqT.dpuf